Wednesday, February 19

Perspective...

       So I was forced to go to a new school for my senior year, which as you all know, is pretty messed up since I have no history whatsoever with these girls and now I have to spend my senior year with them!! Add to that the fact that we have a completely different way of thinking and out of 21 girls, I become friends with ONE!!

       Coming to this school I planned not to make any friends or even talk to any of the girls; but I realized that this wasn't possible. Running away only proves that I'm a weak person and I wasn't going to have that. I tried being friendly getting to know them, I mean what if I was wrong about them and they were actually "cool"? So I did, I moved my seat, introduced myself and asked the most random questions; just to get in their heads. 

        I didn't expect any of their answers and I was dumbfounded by it. When I asked them about their goals, their ambitions, what do they look forward in life, I got this as an answer: "Get into a respectable university (If I'm lucky) get married and haves kids, and if a man knocked our doors before going through university it will be better." I was shocked. How can you not have a dream? How can you just throw all what you could have away? [This answer came from the girl who is one of the highest achievers in class!]

        What was even worse is the fact that one if the girls, who's only 16 years old, is engaged! Her classmates envy her! It was then when I truly understood how the environment you were raised in affects you. These girls were taught from early ages that marriage and kids are the achievement in a woman's life. How can we expect any of these girls to pursue higher positions in society?

        I keep dreaming of driving, flying, becoming a bigger person, working as a CEO, growing into someone who matters; someone who made a difference in this world. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against marriage and kids, but I resent considering this as a Life Goal. Just doesn't make sense to me!

  
My point is: Be Independent. Be You. Don't Be The Kind Of Person Who Needs Others... 

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it. Raise hand for woman power! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post should have beyonce flawless in the back ground!! Especially the talking bit where the woman says " we teach girls to aspire to marriage and instead of competing for jobs and accomplishments they compete against each other for the attention of men" its absolutely ridiculous and degrading!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me :)